Skip to main content

OLU

  he was walking towards me flashing a smile. my heart stopped, not because of how devastatingly handsome he was but because he looked so much like Olu. everything from his 6 feet-something height to the i'm-distressed-beard was similar to Olu's.

   finally stopping in front of the booth i was sitting still smiling, he extended his right hand,"Oluola Gbemu. Head Marketing Manager AT and T" you must be Miss Adeja?.

    impossible. how could i be meeting Olu again after all that had happened and why did he seem not to recognize me. "y_ yee_yeh_yees i'm Miss Ah_Ade" i stammered"

    this is crazy. Olu died last month. how could he possibly be sitting in front of me right now reintroducing himself like we were meeting for the first time. i knew this was Olu, my handsome fish, my sugarcane plum, my dead fiancee.

    the eyes, the fine lines on his forehead, his red palms, even the black spots on his face, just under his nostrils were exactly how i remembered them.

   he had been talking the whole time but it was like pouring water into sieve: i was miles away deep in thought trying to figure out how this was possible.

these things only happened in overrated science fiction movies and novels. i had heard of similar occurrences from hostel gossip back in uni, how ghosts could come back to live for loved ones or how they migrated to another town entirely and lived normal lives.

in all cases of those stories the ghosts only went to people and places unaware of their deaths. those silly stories, even if they were true always cracked me up.

even if like now as i was shaken and could digest that gossipy myth, my dead fiancee knew very much i was aware of his death so how could he possibly be sitting in front of me like this and be completely unaware of how shaken i am? reintroducing himself like we were just meeting for the first time. sitting there calmly like he always was when meeting someone for the first time.

by now i had no duobts it was him, this was Olu quite alright. but how to tell this man that in some dimension or world we were once engaged for marriage and that he died in my arms on the hospital bed after we were involved in an accident on our way to Obudu Cattle Ranch for a getaway.

my mind was still racing as i also realized i was suddenly infuriated. how could he have left me all these weeks? if he could come back from the land of the dead or heaven all this while why didn't he do so sooner?

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SATURDAY SAD TALES

It was impossible to completely assimilate what Richard was going on about; what the group of umunna’s scattered around our sitting room were going on about. The only two words that had registered in my mind were, “new” and “wife”, and I wasn’t even upset. Hadn’t I seen this coming? Hadn’t my instincts warned me? My vicious mother-in-law from the start, threatened?No, I wasn’t upset; I was completely slapped across the face with surprise. I thought finally Richard and I were fine, that we were gone past the rocky months in our marriage. He’d been smiling more often the past few weeks. He told me just last week how much he loved me: with his eyes, like he did the first day he saw me, that day at the Customer Service room in the First Bank Headquarters of Nsukka, on the chilly day of December 4th .

Richard’s eyes were what Professor Agu¸our Classical English literature final year professor described as “sorrowful but intense; the kind of eyes that draws you in to want to know more...” he…

MARY DOES NOT KNOW

September1       September ushered in the last of the rains;  the kind that fell noiselessly and without the fierce winds like in May and June. 

May 17        May was when I saw it, the fierce eyes of Soluja the mad man. it had been a cloudy day, one where, the blackness of the cloud thickened, breaking up now and then with thunder and lightening, darkening my mood like charcoal.
       i was sitting by the window of the moving bus, lost in thought, what people refer to as being "absent minded," when my eyes met the mad man's. i'd expected to meet a blank expression but what my eyes saw were alert pupils; pointy unblinking eyes  with an air of artistic craziness. almost as if he could see through my fears, past my boldness to dare stare at him. he could see all of my secrets and those eyes,  still haunt me till this day...  

June 5           if i turned, she would definitely know i was staring at her and i wasn't about to give her the satisfaction of being admired. low…

CHIEF MAGNUS' MANSION

NOT FOR SALE!

that was the sign on the gate of the house in front of me. it seemed the house owner, angry at over eager prospective buyers of his property, had put it up, telling them loudly to "piss off."
the gate seemed locked and i couldn't spot a bell so retrieving my cellphone from my ready-to-give-up-the-ghost handbag, i dialled Funke for the seventh time today.

"Funks, babe, the gate is locked o and there's no sign of a bell anywhere..."
 "don't worry" she said, "i've told chief to get someone to open up for you"
"ookay" i replied, my throat drying up "thanks. "
"don't mention dear", she answered, giggling at someone at the background and before i could ask how i was supposed to introduce myself to chief agian for the umpteenth time,  she hung up.

i felt my insides die, then resurrect again only to die back when i heard footsteps approaching the gate. my bladder almost spilled it's co…