Skip to main content

EVERYONE, CLEARLY

Today I
saw everyone clearly.

The yellow and green taxis
reminding me of when I was
fifteen,
a fat thing,
in school uniform,
transport fare in hand,
tightly clasped to feel my way home.
they,all in a line wait,
the sweaty drivers,
mechanical palms beating on wheels,
feet tightly placed on brakes,
whistles, slippery escapes poised lips as eel.
"what is holding up traffic?"
the little voice within ponders.


The woman.
she, seated the left from me,
heavy breasts heaving,
unending goosebumps,
the scar on her hand complaining.
her daughter, the only one,
she, the breasts had sucked and bit,
may today or next
a death assume.
unending anger,
as why she lives and the daughter,
she, a death assumes.


The bloke, the one the right from me
looks out the thick- stained glass,
at skyscrapers scraping pale clouds
out of skies,
envelope on laps, tie so loosely tight,
ugly patches,
under arms.
a job,
a single miserly job,
he'd come to hate in half a three years,
is hard to come by.
interviews upon frustrating interviews
he endures.
the men behind  desks,
always asking,
"where he himself sees him in next years to come?"
answers upon declining honest answers
he gives,
lies upon acceptable lies he spits.
for when at twenty-three, he realises
the shatter of dreams
by pointless protocols,
kwashiokoed systems,
undying old men
is something to live with.
so decides he to face reality,
squarely,
call a jobless a jobless,
resorting to highway wealth
and in five years, the bloke dies.


The bald,
he in front of me sits,
he, unhusband he.
a wife some few decades ago had,
and she, he lost
to something the doctors said
must happen.
"it was too late to help"
they said.
and so every thirty-first, as today,
mourns he the death of
his dear little bride,
on the month of what it was today.


It stinks,
the stench of the youngish lad
with fish behind me.
brown hair, brown eyes
the black black brows
I so notably read,
is in oversized t-shirt
the size of a bragging road map.
is thinking of where next to scavenge.
the fish stinks of weeks age
and very many empty ambitions.
for him, a lunch,
of stale bread and rotten fish
will have him at the park,
the one he sleeps at night,
with the naked night blanketing dreams.
there, where,
for half torn oversqueezed change
he begs.
a year ago,
they, his family
in a fire consumed had,
to ashes of sorrow reduced,
and on that day, he wiped his tears
becoming a grown man.


With solemn devotion,
sleeps the big bellied girl,
lips parted, legs outstretched
the silvery glow of saliva.
for dreaming is she,
the father, the baby,
by dusk, the home to come
to say of how he wants
a marriage,
a secret silent wedding,
with no one but gossips to know.


The he, the cougher,
the big headed man,
is bulky, is useless
with rapid drunken speech,
with gait that worsens
with stink that slowly heightens.
his deep shrunken eyes
sees what we all see;
a pitiable drunk,
a man already dead.


The peoples,
they walking,
quick paces to their hurry.
the hawkers,
they crowd you
with hundred naira galas.
the beggars,
their music,
the modern begger anthem.
the motors,
they vibrate,
with ancient fuming black smokes.
the honking,
the screaming,
the neat quarellsome drivers.
the hot sun,
the fierceness,
beats wild on newly braided scalps.


With all these,
did see I,
the very many stories
of which I in traffic,
them,most
clearly all saw through,
six people,
with past lives
they never thought they'd
trade for:
the anger,
the misery,
the helpless twist of one's fate,
the hunger,
the uncertainty,
the shameless heavy drinking.
and as I sat pondering,
about all these
and way more,
the little voice inside me,
said this ever so gently,
"we are the people,
we swore we'd never be".


Today I
saw everyone clearly.


g.o.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SATURDAY SAD TALES

It was impossible to completely assimilate what Richard was going on about; what the group of umunna’s scattered around our sitting room were going on about. The only two words that had registered in my mind were, “new” and “wife”, and I wasn’t even upset. Hadn’t I seen this coming? Hadn’t my instincts warned me? My vicious mother-in-law from the start, threatened?No, I wasn’t upset; I was completely slapped across the face with surprise. I thought finally Richard and I were fine, that we were gone past the rocky months in our marriage. He’d been smiling more often the past few weeks. He told me just last week how much he loved me: with his eyes, like he did the first day he saw me, that day at the Customer Service room in the First Bank Headquarters of Nsukka, on the chilly day of December 4th .

Richard’s eyes were what Professor Agu¸our Classical English literature final year professor described as “sorrowful but intense; the kind of eyes that draws you in to want to know more...” he…

MARY DOES NOT KNOW

September1       September ushered in the last of the rains;  the kind that fell noiselessly and without the fierce winds like in May and June. 

May 17        May was when I saw it, the fierce eyes of Soluja the mad man. it had been a cloudy day, one where, the blackness of the cloud thickened, breaking up now and then with thunder and lightening, darkening my mood like charcoal.
       i was sitting by the window of the moving bus, lost in thought, what people refer to as being "absent minded," when my eyes met the mad man's. i'd expected to meet a blank expression but what my eyes saw were alert pupils; pointy unblinking eyes  with an air of artistic craziness. almost as if he could see through my fears, past my boldness to dare stare at him. he could see all of my secrets and those eyes,  still haunt me till this day...  

June 5           if i turned, she would definitely know i was staring at her and i wasn't about to give her the satisfaction of being admired. low…

CHIEF MAGNUS' MANSION

NOT FOR SALE!

that was the sign on the gate of the house in front of me. it seemed the house owner, angry at over eager prospective buyers of his property, had put it up, telling them loudly to "piss off."
the gate seemed locked and i couldn't spot a bell so retrieving my cellphone from my ready-to-give-up-the-ghost handbag, i dialled Funke for the seventh time today.

"Funks, babe, the gate is locked o and there's no sign of a bell anywhere..."
 "don't worry" she said, "i've told chief to get someone to open up for you"
"ookay" i replied, my throat drying up "thanks. "
"don't mention dear", she answered, giggling at someone at the background and before i could ask how i was supposed to introduce myself to chief agian for the umpteenth time,  she hung up.

i felt my insides die, then resurrect again only to die back when i heard footsteps approaching the gate. my bladder almost spilled it's co…