Skip to main content

LOUSY FISHERMEN OF THE NIGER


Bicycle seats are most appealing
as how they give the caboose support,
at same time causing deep sharp hurt
and bring back haunting thoughts a trifle.



It's just, like days I seat recalling,
a ride along the local river
of our own very sweet long Niger.
There, sat two fish'men with nets broken,
count the fish they missed the hier, awaken'n
fits of fearless fishing fever,
in hopes to trap a great rare marlin.
This, they, even at two thousand, never
could ever accomplish. The least the two,
lousy looking lean locals with sorry lances,
broken nets half a sorry courage.
"This feat must we successful be
  or not at all another fish peel."
At this m'ment had I out my 'cycle came,
  for more the scene below me want
a better view to watch this game,
of two cowardly slender men,
with far great a dream befitting a court.
They really sailed to chase their dream,
which was I knew was far as beam-
of hope, these two would make it alive,
from shame, from death, from miles
of sweat, of half a bottle to none to drink,
without much strength to reach the brink
of our own very sweet long Niger.


And this is how the story ends,
for till this day no sight been made,
no noise, no scent, no shadows too,
of two lousy looking lean locals,
with sorry lances and a rare marlin,
with promises and dreams too high,
or sprouts of foolish shattered dreams.
While maybe might I been the last,
with cabosses smart from long cycling,
I feel it deep within my soul,
that maybe had I steeped in then,
with them their hopeless adventure gone,
perhaps would've saved at least a life,
far way beyond my own dead self.
g.o.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SATURDAY SAD TALES

It was impossible to completely assimilate what Richard was going on about; what the group of umunna’s scattered around our sitting room were going on about. The only two words that had registered in my mind were, “new” and “wife”, and I wasn’t even upset. Hadn’t I seen this coming? Hadn’t my instincts warned me? My vicious mother-in-law from the start, threatened?No, I wasn’t upset; I was completely slapped across the face with surprise. I thought finally Richard and I were fine, that we were gone past the rocky months in our marriage. He’d been smiling more often the past few weeks. He told me just last week how much he loved me: with his eyes, like he did the first day he saw me, that day at the Customer Service room in the First Bank Headquarters of Nsukka, on the chilly day of December 4th .

Richard’s eyes were what Professor Agu¸our Classical English literature final year professor described as “sorrowful but intense; the kind of eyes that draws you in to want to know more...” he…

MARY DOES NOT KNOW

September1       September ushered in the last of the rains;  the kind that fell noiselessly and without the fierce winds like in May and June. 

May 17        May was when I saw it, the fierce eyes of Soluja the mad man. it had been a cloudy day, one where, the blackness of the cloud thickened, breaking up now and then with thunder and lightening, darkening my mood like charcoal.
       i was sitting by the window of the moving bus, lost in thought, what people refer to as being "absent minded," when my eyes met the mad man's. i'd expected to meet a blank expression but what my eyes saw were alert pupils; pointy unblinking eyes  with an air of artistic craziness. almost as if he could see through my fears, past my boldness to dare stare at him. he could see all of my secrets and those eyes,  still haunt me till this day...  

June 5           if i turned, she would definitely know i was staring at her and i wasn't about to give her the satisfaction of being admired. low…

20 REASONS TO JOIN AIESEC

If you have been curious about improving your leadership skills or joining the best student extra curriculum organisation eveer! then you're in luck because AIESEC is interested in YOU. Quickly go through these reasons to join AIESEC today.1. Go on a work abroad experience, develop your leadership skills.2.Network and meet new people in your university, around Nigeria and in 110 countries we are present in.3. Be a part of a network of ambitious and talented AIESEC leaders around the world and utilize this network for the rest of your life.4. Get the opportunity to travel to different places through the various conferences within and outside Nigeria.5. Find a suitable Mentor who can guide you through your career decisions and many life experiences.6. Cultivate a global mindset and develop entrepreneurial outlook in a flexible and customizable work environment.7. Increase awareness on things outside your text book through practical international experience and on the job learning.8.…