Skip to main content

NOT TO BE 2

She got through to Queen at the third call.
She never picked up at the first ring, just so "Queen-ly". "Eeh madam.." were Queen's first words when she finally picked up. " Hey Queen can we meet up for lunch by 1 today? Something happened".  " Something bad?" Queen asked. "Yes,  something bad..., replied Adanna, "...Chijioke broke up with me.." and because she wanted to make it seem like she cared she added, "can you imagine the man?" There was a pause.  Queen mumbled some jargon in Yoruba before she continued, "that's just terrible, oh my god, how are you...? what happened...? I mean what caused this? Did he say what the cause was? Did you guys have a fight?" And when she thought she must have exhausted her questions, she asked, "Adanna, are you there?"  "Yes", sniffed Adanna hoping the sniff added an air of pity on her part. She needed her friend slash sister-in-law to be on her side.
She needed to be vulnerable and play the victim because she was sure Queen would speak on her behalf to Chijioke and he'd change his mind.  He always listened to his sister. " I just don't know why Chijioke has decided to scrap me out of his life Queen, can we talk about this more when we meet up for lunch?" ,making her voice really low and croaky.   "Sure girl," Queen replied and continued        "be strong, it'll all be fine. See you by 1. Bye dear."
With the call ended, Adanna smiled to herself. "Let Chijioke dump me now", she said out loud. She checked the time, it was just past ten. She had two hours plus to come up with the right state of mind a depressed and dumped fiancee should be in, but first she needed a drink, she deserved one. Vodka would do the trick and she went for it.
She poured herself half a glass of vodka and sat on the kitchen chair to down it. Her mind raced, how would she get enough money from Chijioke for the time wasted? How? What? How'd she get access to his cash? She wished she had saved more and bought less LV's and Pradas. She just had to use Queen. Yeah, she was evil for doing this but, who cared?
They had agreed to meet at a nice restaurant in town. It was one of those new generation restaurants with metis managers and ever smiling and neat staff. Plus constant interruptions by the staff wanting to know how "delicious the food had been and if they wanted anything more, bread perhaps?" She hated these interruptions, for pete's sakes, if She wanted bread she'd go to a bakery. She did like these restaurants for other reasons though. She liked such places because only the wealthy and high middle class could afford it. It added a sense of importance to her; made her feel power and rich and classy to afford the meal in such restaurants.
She was however very bad with remembering the names of these restaurants and this particular one was not an exception. Queen had texted her the name and location of the place an hour and half ago but she could not recall the name. It sounded very catchy though she knew, something like "Dicey" or "Chills", or was it "Serendipity"? she couldn't remember. Queen was already seated at the second table by the right just close to a small aquarium tank with some fancy fish swimming around. That was another thing Adanna hated about these restaurants; who needed to see tiny ugly fish swim about before one ate?
She gave Queen her biggest I'm-sad-but-hanging-in-there smile to give her the impression the pain was unbearable. Queen smiled back sadly and weakly, held Adanna's hands tightly and said, " I'm so sorry darling".  "What a sensitive bitch.." thought Adanna as she smiled and asked, " Oh Queen, I didn't mean to bother you..." And then to sound caring she added, " ...How have you been doing dear?" Inwardly, she smiled, she would really make a wonderful acting career. How come she hadn't thought about that?
" So, Queen, there's something I've been meaning to ask you", Adanna asked with her clear voice of authority. Queen looked up, "What?".
¤wait? You thought the story'd end already? Fat chance¤
g.o.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SATURDAY SAD TALES

It was impossible to completely assimilate what Richard was going on about; what the group of umunna’s scattered around our sitting room were going on about. The only two words that had registered in my mind were, “new” and “wife”, and I wasn’t even upset. Hadn’t I seen this coming? Hadn’t my instincts warned me? My vicious mother-in-law from the start, threatened?No, I wasn’t upset; I was completely slapped across the face with surprise. I thought finally Richard and I were fine, that we were gone past the rocky months in our marriage. He’d been smiling more often the past few weeks. He told me just last week how much he loved me: with his eyes, like he did the first day he saw me, that day at the Customer Service room in the First Bank Headquarters of Nsukka, on the chilly day of December 4th .

Richard’s eyes were what Professor Agu¸our Classical English literature final year professor described as “sorrowful but intense; the kind of eyes that draws you in to want to know more...” he…

MARY DOES NOT KNOW

September1       September ushered in the last of the rains;  the kind that fell noiselessly and without the fierce winds like in May and June. 

May 17        May was when I saw it, the fierce eyes of Soluja the mad man. it had been a cloudy day, one where, the blackness of the cloud thickened, breaking up now and then with thunder and lightening, darkening my mood like charcoal.
       i was sitting by the window of the moving bus, lost in thought, what people refer to as being "absent minded," when my eyes met the mad man's. i'd expected to meet a blank expression but what my eyes saw were alert pupils; pointy unblinking eyes  with an air of artistic craziness. almost as if he could see through my fears, past my boldness to dare stare at him. he could see all of my secrets and those eyes,  still haunt me till this day...  

June 5           if i turned, she would definitely know i was staring at her and i wasn't about to give her the satisfaction of being admired. low…

CHIEF MAGNUS' MANSION

NOT FOR SALE!

that was the sign on the gate of the house in front of me. it seemed the house owner, angry at over eager prospective buyers of his property, had put it up, telling them loudly to "piss off."
the gate seemed locked and i couldn't spot a bell so retrieving my cellphone from my ready-to-give-up-the-ghost handbag, i dialled Funke for the seventh time today.

"Funks, babe, the gate is locked o and there's no sign of a bell anywhere..."
 "don't worry" she said, "i've told chief to get someone to open up for you"
"ookay" i replied, my throat drying up "thanks. "
"don't mention dear", she answered, giggling at someone at the background and before i could ask how i was supposed to introduce myself to chief agian for the umpteenth time,  she hung up.

i felt my insides die, then resurrect again only to die back when i heard footsteps approaching the gate. my bladder almost spilled it's co…