Skip to main content

YESTERDAY

Ijeoma slapped me. Full on the face. Her hand covered my face, from my scalp to my chin.
My brows contracted, they always do whenever the volcano begins to heat up within and my vision gets blurry and my hands move fast and when, after a few minutes, I open my eyes, I discover some sort of damage that surprises me. It's hard to take in, even to myself the sort of damages I cause whenever the volcano heats up and erupts.

 Dr. Ken, the shrink at Westhill downtown, calls it excessive choleric syndrome. At least that was what he told papa, four months back, the second day I visited Dr. Ken's office. I didn't comment on that though, I didn't tell Dr. Ken outwrightly, he was fake for suggested a case as "excessive choleroc syndrome", I kept quiet through it all. Since papa wants to waste money, let him.
The volcano did heat up but my brows did not contract. I stared at Ijeoma, head held. High, panting, trying to control my fast breathing, another symptom Dr. Ken pointed out to papa was wrong with me. "She has to take two of this painkiller and pink pills, twice daily, to control the situation". My fast breathing was the "situation", so I feasted on my pills most days. Still catching my breathe I vomitted the words "you're a whore Ijeoma, an ashewo o". And then the sobbing seized me. I ran out of the kitchen, out of the house and started walking.
I didn't know where I was heading to, or maybe I did because Kossiso's house was in the same direction and I needed someone to  talk to. It was another five minutes walk from Kumar's store, where I stood for almost long enough to look at Obinna through the transperent glass windows. Obinna the noble, dusting and cleaning the shelves upon shelves of goods.
I sat at a corner, east of Kumar's Store, on the floor, like most bums do. I needed to clear my head a bit before I continued to Kossiso's. I remembered Mama, her wide smile, Ivory skin, her thick full curly  long hair and her soft voice, even when she spoke igbo. She was always fond of telling me, "ibu omalicha m, a furum gi n'anya" with her wide grin and her glowy eyes and her soft skin holding me. Then cancer came last year and took away her wide smile, and shiny skin, her soft voice and her beautiful hair.
The doctors said it was lung cancer and that mama would undergo chemo and that If she got lucky, she'd fight it. I choked on my tears that day because I knew mama hated fighting, she was a peaceful person. Cancer would take her from me.
Cancer did take mama, she could not make it for a fortnight and she didn't leave instructions for me to do before her death. She just went like that, without saying goodbye or without saying "omalicha m, afurum gi n'anya". I felt lost then. A part of me shut down.
In less than a year papa married Ijeoma, his co-worker. I wanted to run. Maybe to Kossiso's house or Obinna's. I dropped both options; papa would eventually find me. I decided to run away to grannie's in Nigeria. Papa caught up with me at the airport. I'm tall and light-skinned and easy to spot out in a crowd, at least that is what Obinna keeps telling me. I must be because papa spotted in less than five minutes in that crowded airport.
The next day, Ijeaoma suggested to papa that I visit a therapist, Dr. Ken, "he's so wonderful with teens especially", she had said,in her feinged American accent to my hearing. I sighed, I'd have preferred she'd said that in igbo. That's another thing I hated about her, she never spoke to me in Igbo.
Yesterday, Ijeoma slapped me and I went to my room, stuffed some clothes into my denim duffel bag. She let me walk pass her,and leave the house without a comment. She probably knew where I was headed to and would ask papa to come for me tomorrow or the next. But she wouldn't dare raise her hand on me ever again, that I was sure of. Dr. Ken said yesterday, "channel all the anger boiling inside of you and pour it into a secret chest."
This, what I just shared, is my secret chest.
g.o.

































3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

SATURDAY SAD TALES

It was impossible to completely assimilate what Richard was going on about; what the group of umunna’s scattered around our sitting room were going on about. The only two words that had registered in my mind were, “new” and “wife”, and I wasn’t even upset. Hadn’t I seen this coming? Hadn’t my instincts warned me? My vicious mother-in-law from the start, threatened?No, I wasn’t upset; I was completely slapped across the face with surprise. I thought finally Richard and I were fine, that we were gone past the rocky months in our marriage. He’d been smiling more often the past few weeks. He told me just last week how much he loved me: with his eyes, like he did the first day he saw me, that day at the Customer Service room in the First Bank Headquarters of Nsukka, on the chilly day of December 4th .

Richard’s eyes were what Professor Agu¸our Classical English literature final year professor described as “sorrowful but intense; the kind of eyes that draws you in to want to know more...” he…

MARY DOES NOT KNOW

September1       September ushered in the last of the rains;  the kind that fell noiselessly and without the fierce winds like in May and June. 

May 17        May was when I saw it, the fierce eyes of Soluja the mad man. it had been a cloudy day, one where, the blackness of the cloud thickened, breaking up now and then with thunder and lightening, darkening my mood like charcoal.
       i was sitting by the window of the moving bus, lost in thought, what people refer to as being "absent minded," when my eyes met the mad man's. i'd expected to meet a blank expression but what my eyes saw were alert pupils; pointy unblinking eyes  with an air of artistic craziness. almost as if he could see through my fears, past my boldness to dare stare at him. he could see all of my secrets and those eyes,  still haunt me till this day...  

June 5           if i turned, she would definitely know i was staring at her and i wasn't about to give her the satisfaction of being admired. low…

20 REASONS TO JOIN AIESEC

If you have been curious about improving your leadership skills or joining the best student extra curriculum organisation eveer! then you're in luck because AIESEC is interested in YOU. Quickly go through these reasons to join AIESEC today.1. Go on a work abroad experience, develop your leadership skills.2.Network and meet new people in your university, around Nigeria and in 110 countries we are present in.3. Be a part of a network of ambitious and talented AIESEC leaders around the world and utilize this network for the rest of your life.4. Get the opportunity to travel to different places through the various conferences within and outside Nigeria.5. Find a suitable Mentor who can guide you through your career decisions and many life experiences.6. Cultivate a global mindset and develop entrepreneurial outlook in a flexible and customizable work environment.7. Increase awareness on things outside your text book through practical international experience and on the job learning.8.…