Skip to main content

During Prayers

Our father who art in heaven ...", I opened my left eye
and
      then the right followed almost immediately.You know that guilty feeling when others are
      praying and your eyes are open? As if angel Gabriel would
      appear and "stone" (meaning to throw a stone at) your eyes
      for being an "eye witness" (someone whose eyes are always opened
      during prayers).
   

      The reason my eyes were opened was because of Jide.( Go johr,
      I wasn't admiring him), you see, there were rumours about
      Jide and Ogochukwu dating so I wanted to see for
      myself.
   
Eeh,Call me an amebo but "e no consine" me. I just wanted to see
      the current they would be passing during prayers.(You don't know
      what passing current means too? Ha! Okay, it means when two
      people get touchy igota?). Mtcheeew,nonsense,they both had their eyes tightly closed. "Bad market" my mind screamed, and I shut my eyes,
      squeezing them till I saw strands of light in the very black
      background and images of different shapes of blobs inbetween.
   
      I waited, honestly, I did wait_ I had counted up to two
      hundred and forty- five in my mind and still the prayer was
      still on, even Angel Gabriel sef would understand my plight; ah
      ah plus we were all kneeling o. And the "mummy" (in real sense,
      a twenty-two year old church leader, who has infact no child
      nor is married but hey, she's a mummy) had not even gotten to
      the conclusion of her prayers yet. She was still praying for divine mercy and Gods' miracle and I was imagining an alert of even 10k from some random person, as my own miracle. Or maybe 15k, I won't wish for 100k,ah ah, I'm not greedy now. Just 15k will do Lord.
      I had to open my eyes o. Before nko? I had finished praying my own.Then my mind did a stupid thing, it had to
      start thinking of hot okpa and custard. Of all things in the
      world! It had to be okpa and custard!! Not, pizza or spanish omelette but okpa and custard. Thank God I'm not
      catholic or I'd have been obliged to share my "father-I-have-sinned-I-was-thinking-of-hot-okpa-with-custard-and-maybe-a-plate-of-ayaraya-ji, during prayers"
      confession with a priest.
   
I tried to think of heavenly things instead, of Jonah in the fishs' stomach wondering what the hell he was doing there and how he was going to pee when he got pressed or how the rats in Noahs' ark must have been intelligent,civilised and well behaved unlike that uncultured rat I saw last tuesday running proudly towards my wardrobe.....
To be continued...

















































































Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SATURDAY SAD TALES

It was impossible to completely assimilate what Richard was going on about; what the group of umunna’s scattered around our sitting room were going on about. The only two words that had registered in my mind were, “new” and “wife”, and I wasn’t even upset. Hadn’t I seen this coming? Hadn’t my instincts warned me? My vicious mother-in-law from the start, threatened?No, I wasn’t upset; I was completely slapped across the face with surprise. I thought finally Richard and I were fine, that we were gone past the rocky months in our marriage. He’d been smiling more often the past few weeks. He told me just last week how much he loved me: with his eyes, like he did the first day he saw me, that day at the Customer Service room in the First Bank Headquarters of Nsukka, on the chilly day of December 4th .

Richard’s eyes were what Professor Agu¸our Classical English literature final year professor described as “sorrowful but intense; the kind of eyes that draws you in to want to know more...” he…

MARY DOES NOT KNOW

September1       September ushered in the last of the rains;  the kind that fell noiselessly and without the fierce winds like in May and June. 

May 17        May was when I saw it, the fierce eyes of Soluja the mad man. it had been a cloudy day, one where, the blackness of the cloud thickened, breaking up now and then with thunder and lightening, darkening my mood like charcoal.
       i was sitting by the window of the moving bus, lost in thought, what people refer to as being "absent minded," when my eyes met the mad man's. i'd expected to meet a blank expression but what my eyes saw were alert pupils; pointy unblinking eyes  with an air of artistic craziness. almost as if he could see through my fears, past my boldness to dare stare at him. he could see all of my secrets and those eyes,  still haunt me till this day...  

June 5           if i turned, she would definitely know i was staring at her and i wasn't about to give her the satisfaction of being admired. low…

20 REASONS TO JOIN AIESEC

If you have been curious about improving your leadership skills or joining the best student extra curriculum organisation eveer! then you're in luck because AIESEC is interested in YOU. Quickly go through these reasons to join AIESEC today.1. Go on a work abroad experience, develop your leadership skills.2.Network and meet new people in your university, around Nigeria and in 110 countries we are present in.3. Be a part of a network of ambitious and talented AIESEC leaders around the world and utilize this network for the rest of your life.4. Get the opportunity to travel to different places through the various conferences within and outside Nigeria.5. Find a suitable Mentor who can guide you through your career decisions and many life experiences.6. Cultivate a global mindset and develop entrepreneurial outlook in a flexible and customizable work environment.7. Increase awareness on things outside your text book through practical international experience and on the job learning.8.…